Health Life Tips

Expert Warns: Stop Using Moth Balls Immediately Before It’s Too Late

Naphthalene is a hazardous ingredient that appear as a white substance that has a very strong odour. It is found in car exhaust and smoke from cigarettes and forest fires.

Nevertheless, many of us known naphthalene as moth balls, which are used to repel insects. It is actually recognized as a pesticide since 1948. Moreover, just like other pesticides, naphthalene is not safe for us, especially when over-exposed to the chemicals.

Why is Naphthalene Hazardous?


Naphthalene can damage or change the red blood cells. Thus, they will not be able to transport oxygen, which can lead to organ damage.

Naphthalene poisoning usually happens in children who accidentally ingest moth balls, but it doesn’t mean that adults are safe.

Actually, there have been documented poisoning in adults due to occupational exposure and surprisingly even abuse with some reported cases:

A 26-year-old pregnant women sucked on moth balls during her third trimester and developed anemia.
Another woman, 19, sucked, smelled, and ate moth balls during her pregnancy and became anemic as well.
A 15-year-old boy sucked on moth balls too, and had stomach pains and vomiting. He was also diagnosed with anemia.

A 10-year-old boy who inhaled moth balls for 8 hours every night for two months. He had progressive portal hypertension and died because of liver failure.

One of the early symptoms of naphthalene poisoning is stomach ache, but this usually takes two days to appear, along with diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. Some individuals develop a fever and the symptoms get worse over time, which may include:

Shortness of breath
Headache
Low blood pressure
Confusion
Jaundice Tachycardia or increased heart rate
Convulsions
Urinary problems

Unluckily some people end up in coma after getting poisoned with naphthalene. Moreover, individuals who have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency experience worse effects.

It is important to bring immediately the person to the hospital in case of naphthalene poisoning. At the emergency room (ER), he or she may undergo some tests, such as blood and urine tests.

The vital signs will also be observed, which include pulse, blood pressure, breathing rate, and temperature.
Furthermore, there are other medication that may be performed, like using activated charcoal to stop the poison from getting absorbed in the digestive system.

Source: worldhealthguide

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *