Keith Pierce, a year-old boy from Montana was already showing an amazing promise as a wrestler and football player. His parents paid a lot of attention to his health and safety with Keith’s active lifestyle.
They were very concerned when one day, just one month after his birthday, a black mark leg appeared on his leg which was accompanied by swelling.
His parents brought him to the hospital where doctors became very concerned that the mark on his leg was cancer. Nevertheless, it was quickly ruled out and the boy was sent home. He was actually been bitten by a “Brown Recluse Spider” during a football game while the doctors were not aware of that.During the next few days the spider venom spread through the body of the young boy and the swelling and pain became intense. He was again taken to a hospital and after two days he underwent a surgery, but he never woke up as he did not receive the treatment quick enough. In less than 24 hours later, Keith passed away.
The brown recluse spider is one of just two deadly venomous spiders in North America – the other being the black widow. This spider lives in the southern and central USA, but it is possible that they are transported to other regions.
They are approximately 6-20 mm long. It is distinguished by the distinctive mark below its head. The spider often hang s out alone in dark and secluded places under closets and porches. Their secluded nature makes them be very agitated and they really do not like to be found and bothered.
Because of their sensitivity, children like Keith are at the highest risks of suffering a serious brown recluse bite.
In 2014, there was a boy named Branson Riley Carlisle who was also bitten by the spider who was hiding in his pajama. His mother took these photos of the bite progression and hours after the last photo, he was taken into cardiac arrest due to the venom. Sadly, after 17 attempts at resuscitation, he was pronounced dead.
These are the symptoms of a brown recluse spider bite:
Parents, in case you notice these symptoms in combination with a mark, you should wash the area thoroughly with a soap and water.
Then, create a cold compress and place it on the bite area for 10 minutes. Next, remove the washcloth for 10 minutes and repeat the procedure one more time before going to the emergency room.