This shocking news made headlines when doctors in India successfuly removed 600 iron nails from the stomach of a man who had a habit of swallowing strang objects.
Pradip Kumar Dhali has been complaining of severe abdominal pain two months ago.
His family brought him to a hospital to have him check but medics were stunned to discover that nails were the cause of his agony.
An ultrasound scan revealed that the 48-year-old man has a pile of iron nails lying in his stomach. Pradip was admitted at Calcutta Medical College Hospital and after 2 days of observation surgeon used a magnet to remove the iron nails from his stomach.
A total of 600 nails were removed from his stomach which luckily didn’t pierce his flesh during the process.
Dr. Siddhartha Biswas, who led the medical team at Calcutta Medical College and Hospital in India, said: “I am a guest doctor at the local clinic in Dhali’s village.
“Last month his family had brought the ultrasound report to us. I was shocked to find nails in his abdomen.
“We decided to operate on him. It was risky as his stomach had become abnormally big and was completely filled with nails. But luckily it did not pierce the stomach.
“We partially cut his stomach and used a magnet to bring out the nails one by one. There were more than 600 nails inside. It was made sure that all the nails he swallowed, were taken out.”
“The family was asked by Pradip’s psychiatrist to not disturb him so they did not bother much what he was binging on. They had no clue from where he could arrange nails,” Dr. Biswas added.
The habit of eating inedible items is called Pica.